From: Molly Straight [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 12:14 AM
To: Annette Taylor; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: extra credit studying?

I agree. I just graded a midterm exam (5 chapters) in Abnormal. I did the
idea where I allowed them a 3X5 notecard with whatever they needed on it.
You should have seen how small some of the writing was! Amazing. I also gave
them a study guide with vocabulary and key concepts for the exam. I gave
them choices of what questions to answer on the essay and listing questions
(for example, choose 2 out of 3 to answer). Well, I had 7 A's, 5 B's, 2 C's
and 2 F's. One student who is a PA student here and very anxious about his
grades, got a C. Even with being able to bring his own notes! What that
tells me is that he is not able to feret out the concepts from the lectures
and text. And he is in big trouble if he can't do that in college.

Molly Straight, MA
Adjunct Lecturer of Psychology
Alderson-Broaddus College
Philippi, WV