Self-efficacy problem???
How about it being a test anxiety problem?

I am known throughout the psych majors as the See's candy stick person
because I always pass out candy sticks--a measly 30 calories for those
who are counting, but I always tell students that we can take a lesson
from babies--when stressed, they suck. So I pass out something to suck on.
Since only a few really have test anxiety, the rest just enjoy trading
flavors and their 30 calorie treat. They are also cheap--within my
personal budget :-)

annette

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Carla Grayson wrote:

> Tipsters,
>
> I got this question in the midst of a lecture about schemas. What would
> you call the phenomenon when a student gets the first few problems on a
> test wrong and then falls apart on the rest of the test? The idea here
> is that they think, oh, I didn't get the first couple of questions
> right, I must not know the material. I think this is some kind of
> self-perception phenomenon. I know it's not self-fulfilling prophecy
> (which requires 2 people). Can somebody jog my memory?
>
> Thanks!
> Carla Grayson

Annette Taylor, Ph. D.
Department of Psychology                E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of San Diego                 Voice:   (619) 260-4006
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA  92110

                "Education is one of the few things a person
                 is willing to pay for and not get."
                                                -- W. L. Bryan