---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:20:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Peter Freyd

In 1997 Laura S. Brown, Ph.D. ran for the presidency of the American
Psychological Association (APA) on what was described as an "Anti-FMSF
platform" (she lost). Prior to that she had been a member of the
three-person pro-RMT team for the 1996 APA position paper on recovered
memories and she was Dr. Kenneth S. Pope's co-author of the APA's
"Recovered Memories Of Abuse, Assessment, Therapy, Forensics". Her
most recent appearance in the FMSF Newsletter was as a member of Dr.
Paul Fink's "Leadership Council". (I have appended a few of Dr.
Brown's more memorable quotes.)

Last August I posted the following:

          www.doh.wa.gov/Publicat/2000_News/00-96.html#King.

                FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: AUGUST 25, 2000

  OLYMPIA. The state Department of Health has taken the following
  disciplinary actions against health care providers.....

  In June the Psychology Board charged Laura S. Brown, a psychologist
  in King County, license number PY00000615, with unprofessional
  conduct for crossing professional boundaries by entering into a
  friendship with a client, reversing roles by telling clients her
  problems and seeking their advice, and putting two clients in
  contact with each other. The allegations include divulging
  privileged information about one client to another, and vice-versa.

The latest news bulletin is from The Capital Times (Madison, WI.) --
excerpts from an article by Steven Elbow that appeared October 20:

  The keynote speaker at next week's Midwest conference on child
  sexual abuse has infuriated organizers by bailing for a better gig:
  the CBS show ''Survivor.''... Laura Brown, a psychologist known for
  her support of the theory that the repressed memories of abused
  children can be recovered through hypnosis, agreed to speak at the
  conference in Middleton a year ago.

  "In canceling her contract with us, she said her life was in
  disarray and she would be in Europe for three months," said
  conference co-organizer Jill Cohen. "In reality, she's going to be
  in Australia [from which Survivor will originate]." To say that
  Brown's eleventh hour snub miffed her would be an understatement.
  "To pull out of a keynote when 1,200 people are going to be waiting
  for a speaker, and then to leave us with no speaker -- that's pretty
  low."

  Cohen can find some solace in the fact that they may have had to
  pass on Brown anyway. She's facing a slew of charges of ethics
  violations in the state of Washington, including sharing personal
  information among three patients, not documenting her sessions and
  discontinuing treatments without helping her patients find
  alternative therapists. "When she called and pulled out of the
  conference, we assumed it was because of the ethics issue," Cohen
  said. "In reality she broke the conference with us for a better
  deal. She's fairly controversial.  She's problematic with people who
  feel that repressed memories of trauma is not valid science."

               Some previous appearences in the press:

    Central to the debate is "false memory syndrome," a theory that
says therapists, pastors, even police interrogators can get people to
make up memories of events that never occurred.
    Many therapists and children's advocates call the theory a hoax.
"There's no such thing as false memory syndrome," [Dr. Laura] Brown
said.
                                                       By Leslie Brown
                                            September 11, 1994, Sunday
                                         The News Tribune (Tacoma, WA)

    "Victims of Memory" is Pendergrast's 600-page attempt to exorcise
the demons that took away his daughters. Some people will see the book
as a father's ultimate act of love. Others will see it as a guilty
man's obsessive attempt to clear his name.
    "He does have a bias," said Laura Brown, a clinical psychologist
in Seattle, who opposes Pendergrast's belief that recovered memories
are made up. "We're assuming he's telling the truth when he says he
never did this, but how do we know?"
                                                       By Anne Rochell
                                                     December 11, 1994
                                  The Atlanta Journal and Constitution

    The conference is hosted by the False Memory Syndrome (FMS)
Foundation -- which has more than 4,000 members, all of whom say they
were falsely accused of abuse. It is the first such meeting to be
co-sponsored by a prestigious research institute [Johns Hopkins], and
that has made the recovered memory camp furious.
    "This is a nonexistent syndrome," said Laura Brown, a clinical
psychologist in Seattle, who believes memories can be repressed and
retrieved.
    "I was appalled when I saw that this conference was going on," she
added.
                                                       By Anne Rochell
                                              December 18, 1994 Sunday
                                                      Cox News Service

       Excerpts from the 1997 Brown-for-APA-President website:
       (www.en.com/users/abackan/headline.htm but now defunct)

    The appearance of FMS has been explicitly blamed by its erstwhile
discoverers on misconduct by therapists, and frequently, in specific,
by feminist and lesbian therapists such as myself and my colleagues...
the goals of the false memory movement [are] ultimately designed to
uphold rather than subvert the power arrangements of patriarchal
culture, by privileging the voices of those who claim to be falsely
accused over all else, and declaring them to be always per se true,
and thus the voices of accusers as per se false...when I attempt to
examine the outcomes that would ultimately emerge from following the
directions of the false memory movement, as well as the actions
already taken by individuals who represent this movement, I see only
injustice and a silencing process going on...

...the control over this history of the family in general, and
specific individual families is at least as important, if not more so,
than the scientific realities, and that this attempt by the false
memory movement to reassert patriarchal control over the definition of
history and reality is the facet of the memory debate that potentially
can deform the practice of therapy and turn our hearts to stone...

...the False Memory Syndrome Foundation has proposed a way to end the
"epidemic" of FMS that they have identified by creating a new standard
of care in therapy. It is a standard that I perceive as undermining
the social justice narrative that has most therapists who work with
trauma survivors, because of who it empowers, and who it
silences.

...Paul McHugh, M.D. who teaches the standard of care segment of
several of the FMSF CE workshops, has argued in his writings on this
topic that when a client presents with either reported continuous or
reported delayed recall of childhood sexual abuse, the therapist
should refuse to accept this report at face value, and instead contact
the accused perpetrator/family member to ask them to participate in
the treatment (McHugh, 1993a, 1993b)...the power to define reality for
the client and write the client's personal narrative should not be
offered to the client,,,the job of the therapist is not empowerment
and desilencing, but, as I would define it, the on-going creation of
exile from self.