Colleagues,
I just got a request from a local reporter asking if I knew
of any research on a possible association between Holiday
odors (odors associated with the Fall holidays of
Thanksgiving & Christmas) and emotions and memory. The request was
a little vague, but I gathered that she is doing a piece on how the
smells of Fall and the holidays might affect emotions and
bring back fond memories of childhood Christmases, etc.  I took a
chance and said I'd try to find something for her. Is anyone familiar
with any research along these lines?  I remember a little about
Robert Baron's work on odors and helping behavior, but that's about
it.  I'm going to hit the databases tomorrow but any help that the
wise sages of TIPS could provide would be greatly appreciated!!  I'll
share what I find with the list.  Thanks!
Mark

Mark S. Schmidt, Ph.D.
Dept. of Psychology & Sociology
Columbus State University