I find it fascinating how views are developed without regards to the
research literature.  I would think one could find literature on the
utility of interviews for graduate school applicants in the I/O or
clinical arenas?  Also, the utility of various questionnaires should be
out there somewhere.  I think the emphasis on the (mystery complex?)
meaningful behavior of clinicians in such a "complex task" of being a
"good" counselor is worthy of more empirical discussion.  Like Michael
Q, I would be leary of reliance on interviews, but only because my
rememberance of the literarure suggests problems in that area.  I do
feel however, that screening applicants is justifiable if it is shown
that  whacko therapists are a problem.
        Where's the data?   Gary Peterson