I suspect that some students do find it easier to miss class when they
know that my extensive notes are available on the web -- but that does not
bother me.  If the students can learn the material from my notes without
attending class, then I am satisfied.  But the serious students attend
whenever they can, because they know that in class they get the benefit of
hearing the interesting exchanges among class members (including me) and
they also get to hear my jokes that are too off-color to post on the web ;-)
Apparently most of my students actually enjoy attending my classes -- so
much so that their (and my peers') evaluation of my teaching has led to my
being given this year the highest teaching award in the University of North
Carolina system.  My head has grown two hat sizes since that event.  My
wallet grew too (a very nice stipend was included), but that did not last
long.
++++++ Karl L. Wuensch, Department of Psychology, East Carolina University,
Greenville NC 27858-4353 Voice: 252-328-4102 Fax: 252-328-6283
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://core.ecu.edu/psyc/wuenschk/klw.htm