On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, jim clark wrote:

> As Michael S. is away for a month, I thought someone should point
> out the Eurocentric nature of the following publication.  The use
> of witchdoctors as a foil for psychiatrists seems to imply
> something negative about witchdoctors.
>
> On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Stephen Black wrote:
> > psychiatric disorders. I particularly liked his book
> > "Witchdoctors and Psychiatrists" (1973), in which he drew
> > attention to the real parallels in the two cases. He illustrated

It's hard to believe that the irrepressible MS has barely fallen
silent and already Jim Clark is wishing for his return. However,
I'm sure all of us on the list appreciate Jim's willingness
to fill in for Michael while he's gone. I, for one, have every
confidence in Jim's ability to master the role.

On the alleged Eurocentricity of Fuller Torrey's book, however, I
think Michael would actually be quite happy with his views.
Torrey's point, with not the slightest hint of sarcasm or
disapproval, was that both types of practitioner are highly
effective at what they do. He then attempted to identify common
elements in their practices.

-Stephen

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/