On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Jeff Bartel went:

> A few weeks ago we discussed using case studies of people with various
> types of brain damage to teach physiological psychology (especially in
> General Psychology classes).  Out of curiousity, which examples do you
> tend to use?

Whenever I lectured about the dorsal and ventral streams of visual
processing in neocortex, I read liberally from the wonderful case
studies in this paper:

 David N. Levine, Joshua Warach, and Martha Farah.  Two visual systems
 in mental imagery: dissociation of "what" and "where" in imagery
 disorders due to bilateral posterior cerebral lesions.  Neurology 35:
 1010-1018, 1985.

I also enacted the tragicomic series of interviews with a similarly
impaired patient on pp. 273-275 of this paper:

 David N. Levine.  Unawareness of visual and sensorimotor defects: a
 hypothesis.  Brain and Cognition 13: 233-281, 1990.

Students loved this stuff.  So did I.

--David Epstein