The tremendous growth of cognitive science as a way of studying intelligent
behavior provides tremendous support for Phillippe's claim that philosophy
still has a critical function.  Those of us who consider themselves
cognitive scientists have realized that there is much to be learned from a
multidisciplinary approach.  The fact that there are psychology departments
becoming cognitive science departments indicates there is considerable
support to the expected contributions from philosophy.

All of the responses in this thread have asserted, as Phillipe stated
"philosophy appears to be the ground and soil out of which psychology has
grown."   I have a bit of a different take on that. We can't deny that the
approach to studying many of the questions that we would now say defines
psychology were initially addressed by philosophers.  It appears to me that
it was the work of the 19th century physiologists that really set the stage
for psychology emerging as an independent science. Although we give credit
to Wundt for establishing the first psychology laboratory, Donders, Muller,
Weber, Fechner, Helmholtz were the ones conducting the first psychological
experiments.  They all came from either a medical or physiological
background. Without their contributions would psychology have developed as
an independent science?

Gary J. Klatsky, Ph. D.

Department of Psychology                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Oswego State University (SUNY)          http://www.oswego.edu/~klatsky
Oswego, NY 13126                        Voice: (315) 312-3474