Plagiarism, no matter how blatant, can be difficult to substantiate if the
student is litigious. Take it up with the appropriate authorities but don't
expect much support. I have seen numerous cases where administrators have
caved in leaving the faculty holding the bag. One alternative, scare the
bejesus out of the student (perhaps by handing him/her the official school
policy), look  very stern and angry and then say that " this paper is an "F"
as of now. However, if you convince me by the end of the semester that you
deserve a break, I will reconsider" don't define how the student is supposed
to convince you. This may sound cynical and even cruel, but sometimes it is
the only recourse.