>I just got in some papers and I suspect that one of
>them is plagarized. It seems that the student has
>copied major parts of from one of his articles to
>become the heart of his assignment. There is no
>citation or reference for this part, while the rest is
>cited accordingly.
>
>I mentioned to the student that I would like to meet
>with them tomorrow afternoon, I was wondering what
>type of advice people might have to handle this?
>
>William Frederick
>Adjunct Faculty, Lake Land College

Bill:
1. Have the dept head or a tenured faculty member sit in on this meeting.

2. Decide in advance what the penalty should be. You might want to ask the
dept. head what the dept. policy is on this.

3. Meet with the student and try to get them to admit that they knew it was
plagarism. If they won't own up, explain how they should have known.

4. Be calm and level about it. Some students try to get you to make remarks
that they can later use to claim that you had it in for them.
Don't let something like, "You only called me in here because you're
prejudiced against (men, women, minorities,students with ear rings, humans)
or whatever, rattle you.

That's how I handle it and they fail the course as specified on my syllabus.

Rip

Rip Pisacreta, Ph.D.
Professor, Psychology,
Ferris State University