At 3:21 PM -0500 2/28/01, Esther Yoder Strahan wrote:
>While I don't want to get involved in the fray regarding fundamentalism and
>the afterlife, I do want to point out that Thomas has cited one study, and
>is not (I don't think!) making claims that one study represents ultimate
>truth. We can criticize that study, and find fault with it, which we have
>all been trained to be able to do. However, I would advise the sort of
>scientific humility that allows us to wait for replication and further
>findings in this arena, and not dismiss the findings simply because they
>are not in line with our pre-existing beliefs.

Isn't this what we're advocating:
withholding judgement (i.e., not judging a treatment to be effective) until
scientific standards such as replication are met?

>BTW, Despite Paul's contention that self-esteem is not a useful construct,
>it is one that is likely here to stay, at least in the developmental and
>clinical literatures.

And this is good?

* PAUL K. BRANDON               [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *
* Psychology Dept       Minnesota State University, Mankato *
* 23 Armstrong Hall, Mankato, MN 56001      ph 507-389-6217 *
*    http://www.mankato.msus.edu/dept/psych/welcome.html    *