This is a difficult question.  When we look at the history of psychology,
how many founders were "psychologists?"  When we examine the current trend
of psychology blending with other disciplines such as neurosciences and
computer science (re: the thread about the current state of psychology), we
are faced with the same questions.  Clearly, the research for which these
individuals received their Nobel awards was directed at questions claimed
by psychologists.  This research is part of the core research for
psychology as evidenced by the frequency with which it is cited in our
textbooks.  These individuals frequently work in psychology departments,
present at psychology conferences, give colloquia for psychology
departments, etc.  I think we can claim them as psychologists even if their
degree says physiology.

By the way - the list of Nobel laureates includes that of our own dear
founding father - I. P. Pavlov, although we do admit that the prize was
awarded for his work on digestion rather than Classical Conditioning, per se.

Claudia Stanny

>       Except for Simon, how  many of these folks are psychologists?  I
>believe Hubel and Weisel do not have degrees in psychology per se?  And
>of course, psychology proper I thought, was excluded from Nobel areas
>considered?   Gary Peterson
>
>       G. Peterson
>       Saginaw Valley State University
>

>Tom Allaway wrote:
>>
>>     I believe Simon's Nobel was for his work with decision theory,
>> particularly the concept of "satisficing" r/t maximizing.
>>
>>     Lorenz, Tinbergen and Von Frisch got the Nobel for work whose topic
>> was certainly behavioral.

Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.                e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology                Phone:  (850) 474 - 3163
University of West Florida              FAX:    (850) 857 - 6060
Pensacola, FL  32514 - 5751

Web:    http://www.uwf.edu/psych/stanny.html