I also think the Muchinsky text is excellent as is the student work book. However, because I am not trained in I/O I took a different path when I started teaching it last year. I assigned Spector's book (Wiley).  The author makes all his lecture and chapter outlines available online.  The Spector book is not very detailed or rigorous, but I supplement with original readings (journal articles) and write my lectures from Muchinsky. I've also found Aamodt (third edition) Applied I/O Psychology, Books/Cole/Wadsworth useful for the purposes of class preparation/lectures.
Marie
David Campbell wrote:
"M. Press" wrote:

> Could some of you share your suggestions for introductory texts in
> industrial/organizational psychology?  Thanks.
>
> Mark
>
> M. Press, Ph.D.
> Professor of Psychology, Touro College, 1602 Avenue J, Brooklyn, NY 11230
> 718-252-7800, x 275
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I like Muchinsky's "Psychology Applied to Work" (Wadsworth).  It provides a
balance between solid coverage, lively writing, and research emphasis.  Last
year I tried Shultz & Shultz "Psychology & Work Today" (Prentice-Hall) but
found it too light and laced with inaccuracies (the students seemed to like
it--easy reading).

I don't really have a second choice text at this time, so I'll be interested
in what others might suggest.  Riggio's "Introduction to
Industrial/Organizational Psychology" (Prentice-Hall) is worth a look.  There
are a number of others, but my brief examination suggested problems in
writing style or currency of material.

David E. Campbell, Ph.D.        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology        Phone: 707-826-3721
Humboldt State University       FAX:   707-826-4993
Arcata, CA  95521               www.humboldt.edu/~campbell/psyc.htm

--
Marie Helweg-Larsen, Ph.D.
Program Director & Assistant Professor of Psychology