My wife (Dr. Deborah Briihl, also a TIPSter) and I both work in the
Psychology Department here at VSU. We actually met here and dated while
being colleagues. Now I know that traditionally, this has been frowned
upon, and I'm sure we caused our department head some headaches and
concerns, but I would say we haven't caused any more discomfort or brought
any personal tension into the office any more than someone else who's
married or has a relationship with someone outside the work place.
The reality is that students seem to actually like the two of us as a
couple... and when I was in graduate school, the department I was in
actually had three married couples (it became a
bit of a joke in the dept).
Personally, I think the personal issues can intrude into a department, but
they can for anyone. For Deb and I, I think the situation is eased because
we have different specializations (she experimental, I clinical), different
departmental responsibilities (she undergrad, I grad), etc., so we have
fewer opportunities to step on one another's toes, professionally.
As for the last part of the original email, I don't see its relevance for
the earlier part of the email.
David W.
At 04:28 PM 3/13/01 -0500, Michael Sylvester wrote:
>are there tipsters who are wedded and are teaching at the same
>institution? It seems as if there are some plus and minuses
>to this. I have known husband and wife faculty where this has been
>such a source of tension that one has asked to relocate to another
>building. I knew of a case where a divorce was pending and there
>were big arguments at the faculty meetings.
>Maybe some tipsters may allude to ether scenarios and comment on
>how this situation may enhance or deter teaching effectiveness
>and perception of students.
>And while on this subject (free associating),I remembered the case
>of a Professor who was undergoing a sex change from he to she.
>He was married at this time and his wife  was a prof at the University.
>After his sex change,they still remained married.The university
>did not care ,but I wondered as to the impact on students.
>Would female facuty members go to the ladies room,if they knew that
>there was a transsexual going in at the same time?
>Please note that this is related to the teaching of Psychology
>re perceptions of gender transformations.
>
>Michael Sylvester,PhD
>Daytona Beach,Florida

David T. Wasieleski, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Psychology and Counseling
Valdosta State University
229-333-5620
http://chiron.valdosta.edu/dtwasieleski

"If you want to be somebody else
If you're tired of fighting battles with yourself
If you want to be somebody else
Change your mind..."
                --Sister Hazel
               "Change Your Mind"