On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Jeff Ricker wrote:

> Ida Sabelis, one of the co-authors [of the MRI coitus study],
> was one of the two people pictured
> in the MRI photos (I'll let you guess which one). Although she did not
> attend the ceremony, she wrote an acceptance speech for the prize, which
> you can read at
> http://www.improb.com/airchives/paperair/volume7/v7i1/sabel-speech-7-1.html.
> In the speech, she describes (in broken English) the events leading up
> to the event as well as what happened while they were in the MRI
> machine.

Thank you, Jeff, for that useful alert. When I showed the photo
to my class on PowerPoint (for the purely educational purpose of
illustrating what an MRI is good for), I rotated it to a more
conventional orientation. I thought this had something to do with
MRI rules for displaying images. Now that I've read Drs.
Sabelis's account, I understand why it was published that way.

One question. Drs. Sabelis says this:

"Another cup of coffee and then I say "Jupp, shall we do
something..." Everyone comes into action: we look at, match, and
pee."

What does that mean? Is this the Dutch equivalent of foreplay?

-Stephen

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/