From: Beth Benoit [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 3:27 PM
To: TIPS
Subject: Re: Commencement speakers...

>> I am not being ironic with my suggestion: Tom and Ray Magliazzo of NPR,
also
>> known as Click and Clack the Tappet Brothrs. They have a program on cars
and
>> car problems which is a gem on radio. They started out in the 60s with a
fix
>> it yourself repair shop: you rented the tools and space and did your own
>> work. Both graduated from MIT and Tom went on to a PHD. He taught for a
>> while and then returned to the radio business. He has several books out
and
>> more than one essay on education which is enlightening, even if I
disagree
>> with it. They gave a commencement speect at MIT and (I think) Harvard not
>> too many years ago. Apparently it was one of the best received speeches
>> ever. They are funny, ironic, satirical and insightful, which is more
than I
>> can say for any commencement speakers I have heard since my own college
>> graduation in 1965.

They also ran together for President (or co-President, as they named it).
They suggested that each of them would take alternate days.  One could undo
what the other had done the day before.  They'd flip for the 7th day, but
would decree that nothing should be done on the weekends anyhow.  That kind
of humor makes my day.  They're wildly popular in New England.  Lots of
people stop their day on Saturday a.m. so they don't miss the show.

 Beth Benoit