On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Jeff Ricker wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Jeff:
> > Do you know if it's [the cartoon is] available online?
> > thanks
> > annette
>
> Yes, you can find it at:
>

>http://www.cartoonbank.com/cartoon_closeup.asp?pf%5Fid=45285&dept%5Fid=1001&mscssid=0K2LWUDDR6S92M5000GPBQXDM6E6B579
>
> I'm thinking that you may have to register on the New Yorker web site
> before you can get to this page, but I am not sure.

I tried. Actually, you can get into the site without problem and
it even tells you that you're logged in as jeff.ricker, a rare
honour. But for those of us who are PowerPoint devotees (now that
Jeff has outed me), it doesn't help. Using a technique which
appears to be spreading, and which takes a lot of the fun out of
surfing the web for PowerPoint material, it won't allow you to
copy it. (This also happened the other day when I was trying to
import a picture of a smiling Steven Pinker from his website. I
guess he doesn't want my students to know what he looks like).

However, if you're patient, you can copy all the New Yorker
cartoons you like from:

http://www.comics.com/cartoonbank/index.html

The reason you have to be patient is that they're one week
behind, and the water cartoon won't arrive on the site until next
week (it's in the 3/26/01 issue).

As for Steven Pinker, it wasn't easy, but I found an unauthorized
pic, just as good. It's an instinct I have.

-the other Stephen

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/