The policy at SWTSU was rather confusing until this semester. Some
departments would supply scantrons, blue books, etc. from course fees.
Other departments used the course fees to fund TA positions and student
workers for the department labs. Even within departments some faculty would
provide scantrons to everyone, or just those that didn't bring a scantron
for the test, while others required students to provide their own.

Effective this semester departments are now required to provide scantrons,
blue books, etc. to students. The end result: those that were using student
fees for other things (like TAs) can't do that anymore and must find other
areas of the budget to fund TA positions or cut the TAships. So, we now
have fewer TA positions available for students and our computer labs are
understaffed... but at least the student doesn't have spend 50 cents a
semester to provide their own scantron for a class with 5 exams. (And if
they have 5 such courses for those taking a 15 hour load, the total is a
whopping $2.50 a semester!)

Sorry, having dealt with this fairly recently I just feel like there are
lot more important things students and the administration should be
discussing rather than whether or not departments should provide scantrons.

- Marc

G. Marc Turner, MEd
Lecturer & Head of Computer Operations
Department of Psychology