> From: "Rick Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: darwinian slip and a thought

>       I teach in both psychology and sociology (as well as occasional political
> science courses), so I tend to deal with a number of rather controversial
> topics (abortion, capital punishment, assisted suicide, homosexuality, the
> drug war, racism & sexism, adolescent sexuality, etc.) on a day-to-day
> basis. The single greatest handicap I have in teaching students to think
> critically in those classes is overcoming the influence of religious
> indoctrination (I live in a _very_ conservative, very fundamentalist,
> area) so that the students can see _both_ sides of the issues instead of
> just one.

Since you teach such a course, thought you (and others) might be interested
in this...

RACIAL STEREOTYPES HURT ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE -- IN WHITES

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A new study found that negative racial stereotypes
don't just hurt African Americans - they can have negative effects on the
people who hold, or even think about, those stereotypes.

The study found that white students who were subtly primed to think
about racial stereotypes of African Americans performed worse on a
math test than did other white students who weren't so primed.

The results suggest that white people who are made aware of
stereotypes that Blacks don't do well in school may impair their own
academic performance, at least in the short term, said Richard Petty,
co-author of the study and professor of psychology at Ohio State
University.

"It sounds strange, but people who think about stereotypes of other
groups may act in ways that are consistent with that stereotype -
even if they are not part of that stereotyped group," Petty said.

Petty conducted the study with S. Christian Wheeler and W. Blair G.
Jarvis, two doctoral psychology students at Ohio State. The results
appear in the March issue of the Journal of Experimental Social
Psychology.

The researchers conducted two similar studies, involving a total of
157 non-African-American college students. All were instructed to
write an essay about a day in the life of a college student named
either "Tyrone" or "Erik" Walker. The belief was that, because of the
names, participants would think of Tyrone as an African American and Erik
as a white student.

After writing the essay, students took a standardized test excerpted
from the math section of the GRE. The test included 30 questions and
students had 20 minutes to complete the test.

Results showed students who wrote about "Tyrone" scored lower on the
test than did students who wrote about "Erik." For example, in one
study, students who wrote about "Tyrone" scored an average of 4.5 on
the test, compared to 6.2 for those who wrote about Erik. (Students
got 1 point for each correct answer, with one-fifth of a point taken
off for incorrect answers.

Although the results might seem odd, they are not without precedent,
Petty said. Other researchers had found that when young people were
primed to think about stereotypes of older people, they were more
likely to act in an elderly manner - walking more slowly after they
thought the experiment had ended. But this is the first study to show an
effect involving the impact of racial stereotypes on academic performance.

The key to this experiment is to get students thinking about the
stereotypes without them consciously knowing what they are doing,
Petty said. In these experiments, students were not given any
explicit stereotypes to consider - they were simply asked to write
about a person with a stereotypically white or African American name.

The more that the name conjures up stereotypical thoughts among the
students, the more effective it will be in influencing their
behavior, Petty said. For example, the researchers found that
students who wrote about Tyrone did worse on the math test if their
essays contained high levels of stereotypical content about Tyrone.
Stereotypical content included references that Tyrone was a star
football or basketball player.

"One strong stereotype is that African Americans are more likely to
be athletes, and that athletes tend to be poor students," Petty said.
"Participants who said that Tyrone was an athlete, or who included other
stereotypes, did worse on the math test."

Participants also did worse on the math test if they wrote about
Tyrone in the first person - as if they themselves were Tyrone. "It
may be that people who wrote in the first person identified more
strongly with the stereotypes or held the stereotype more strongly,
and were thus more affected by them when they took the test," Petty
said. In addition, participants in one of the experiments were
specifically asked at the end of the experiment to indicate the race
of the person they wrote about. Those who indicated Tyrone was an
African American did worse on the math test than those who did not.

The fact that participants in this study were affected by racial
stereotypes does not mean that they are prejudiced, or even that they
believe in the stereotypes, Petty said. In one of the two studies, the
participants completed a questionnaire that measured their levels of
racism. The results showed that the "Tyrone" effect was the same for those
who scored high in racism as for those who scored low. "We're not
activating prejudice in this study; this is a much more automatic response
that arises from the stereotypes people are exposed to and store in
memory," he said.

In fact, the participants don't necessarily have to believe that the
stereotypes are true to be affected, Petty said. "You just need to
have the association - you have to know that there's a stereotype
that African Americans are more likely to be athletes, and that
athletes are poor students, for example."

Researchers don't know why negative stereotypes hurt the people who
hold those stereotypes, Petty said. In this case, it may be that
participants in the study begin to identify, however briefly, with
the stereotypes that they are considering. For example, if they are
thinking about the stereotype of African Americans as athletes, they
may think of the possibility that they could have been athletes.
"Some people may think, 'I like sports' and how important is school
anyway? Momentarily, they are out of their academic roles and
thinking of themselves more in terms of what they could have been."

The research was supported by the National Science Foundation and the
Canadian Social and Humanities Research Council. --