With regard to being hung up on grades:  As I see things the
assessment of participation in my anticipated seminar format is
primarily for the students' benefit.  If I assess learning, in part, by
informal evaluations based on the students' participation in class,
students need to know how their level, and quality of participation
is perceived by me.  I will be asking the students to demonstrate
learning in ways they have not typically been asked to before.  So
the assessment is so the students know if they are demonstrating
their learning to the best of their ability.

Joe
Joe Horton
Mount Aloysius College
7373 Admiral Peary Highway