Just got back from a get-away weekend with my Susan.  So, I'll be quick.
 As far as the focus on grades, I am not at all raising the issue of
caring.  All I'm asking is why assume that grades and learning are
inalterably synonomous.  First, the whole grading process, not to mention
the instruments, are fraught with subjectivity and human frailty.  Second,
there is a difference between test taking and grade getting on one hand,
and learning on the other.  It is a false assumption that learning is
automatically reflected in tests and grades, especially if we throw such
silly things as curving into the equation. Third, just to be a larger
fly in the ointment, what do we mean by learning and what are students
supposed to learn?   And finally, the entire testing process is so often
taken in isolation, ignoring the very human factors of the test takers.

Make it a good day.

                                                       --Louis--

Louis Schmier                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of History             www.therandomthoughts.com
Valdosta State University         www.halcyon.com/arborhts/louis.html
Valdosta, GA  31698                           /~\        /\ /\
                        -_~    /  "If you want to climb mountains,   \ /^\
                         _ _ /      don't practice on mole hills" -    \____