Linda wrote
> While a number of the Mizvot seem to have no logic behind them, the
> prohibition against the above is speculated as follows - It would be too
> cruel for the mother to endure having their young killed in front of
> them (something else you are not to do) and then to have them play a
> role in their young's death. There are a number of Mitzvot concerning
> animals which are based in kindness........

Other scholars (including the Rambam (Maimonides) have argued that many of
the mitzvot were included to keep the People from adopting customs of the
Canaanites.  Thus, if boiling meat in milk was a pagan custom or part of a
pagan ritual it would be forbidden.  Similarly, the prohibition against
rounding the corners of the beard was suggested as a practice of pagan
priests.  Anthropologists such  as Marvin Harris have given interesting
explanations of some of the dietary prohibitions.  But many of the mitzvot
seem to have been designed to keep the People sanctified (sensu "set apart")
Ed
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D., Department of Psychology,
West Chester Univ. of PA, West Chester, PA 19383
Husband, father, grandfather, biopsychologist, herpetoculturist and
bluegrass fiddler
Shameless self promotion:  The Mill Creek Bluegrass Band performs every
Tuesday night at Dugal's Inn, Mortonville, PA. Call 610- 486-0953 for
directions.