Michael Sylvester wrote:

>  Why not conduct a personal experiment:
>   -get a baseline for your sleeping behavior:record your daily sleep
>    behavior for about 10 days and get your average slleping time.
>   - compare and contrast behavior after varying hours of sleep
>     and your tips behavior.
>   -if efficiency is affected,you may want to draw conclusions
>    about behavior and sllep time.

        Er, Michael.

        Using a _single_ subject for this kind of "experiment" would, at best,
provide an individual baseline for that single person--not data that could
be applied with any reliability to the general population.

        For example, if Jeff is a paranoid schizophrenic he is unlikely to draw
the same conclusions about how he was affected (i.e., "The aliens tortured
me constantly and unceasingly forcing me to dream about Inquisitors who
tortured people into confessing they were Eurocentric and I woke up
understanding that I must save the world from Floridians, all of whom are
Space Aliens [the reason the Weekly World News is headquartered there, of
course]") that he would draw if, instead, he is a sociopath (i.e., "I
slept soundly and woke refreshed, clear headed, and in the mood to kill
Eurocentric women").

        On the other hand, using a _scientific_ (read: Eurocentric) approach,
Jeff wouldn't rely on the single subject but would study a representative
sample of the population, in some cases (the experimental subjects)
varying the length of their sleep periods and in other cases (control
subjects) leaving their sleep period length constant. Because his sample
would include both paranoid schizophrenics AND sociopaths, as well as
subjects with neither diagnosis, it would be FAR more accurate and valid.

> Hope this help.

        Help good.

        Thank much.

> As a true experimentalist.

        You spelled "experiment" incorrectly, above.

        Rick
--

Rick Adams
Department of Social Sciences

"... and the only measure of your worth and your deeds will be the love
you leave behind when you're gone. --Fred Small, Everything Possible "