Dear Colleagues,
After receiving a couple responses regarding using PROP as a taste
stimulus in human subjects which suggest that since such miniscule
amounts are presented to subjects (and since it is used clinically) that
the potential carcinogenic effects are not a concern, I have two
follow-up concerns.
1. Even given the above information, I don't know if the importance of
the relevant research justifies exposing subjects to any amount of PROP.

2. Are subjects informed of the status of PROP in the informed consent
forms? It seems that if I were a subject reading that PROP is
potentially carcinogenic, it wouldn't matter to me that it was being
used in minute quantities (i.e., subthreshold doses compared to
clinically used doses)... I wouldn't agree to even taste it. What types
of subjects are agreeing to participate? What kinds of information is
included in the informed consent? If the information about potential
carcinogenicity is not included, are subjects really informed?

I've already submitted a proposal to our IRB to use PROP, but am
seriously reconsidering doing the project because I personally don't
feel comfortable exposing subjects in my experiments to any dose (no
matter how small) of a potential carcinogen. I just don't see my
research as being that important.

Dancing with a dilemma,
-S

Steven M. Specht, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Psychology
Psychology Department
Utica College of Syracuse University
1600 Burrstone Rd.
Utica, NY 13502
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(315) 792-3171

"To teach is to learn twice".  - Joseph Joubert (1754-1824)