Payam Heidary wrote:

> how do most of you handle situations where
> students are absent on the day of exams and when
> assignments are due.

For examinations:

I always allow a student to take exams BEFORE the scheduled time. That way, if they
know something
is coming up for them, they can plan on taking the exam a day or two early.

I also do not worry if a student comes late to an exam (I have no times limits on my
exams anyway),
even if they come an hour or two late. Usually, in such a case, I tell them to take
the exam in a
later section (for intro psych, I have several sections during the day). I rarely have
students do
this consistently and, when they do, it is often because of work-related problems. It
is very
unlikely, with my tests, that they can talk with a student who has already taken the
exam and get
enough information to make a difference on their scores.

I also allow students to make up ONE exam...for ANY reason (I give between five and
seven exams
during the semester, depending on the course). I don't even want to hear the
excuse--but they often
seem to feel compelled to tell me anyway. I have one day set aside during the last
week of regular
classes for all make-ups. When students realize that they will have to wait until the
end of the
semester to take the exam, many opt to rearrange their schedules or take the exam even
with a sore
throat rather than wait until the semester's end when other assignments are coming due.

I explain to students that taking the make-up option should be reserved for major
emergencies since
they probably don't want to take the make-up during a very busy period of the
semester. Perhaps a
quarter of the class takes a make-up exam. The distribution of scores is no different
than those
taking the test on the assigned date.

For homework assignments:

I do something similar. They can always hand in assignments early. And I let them hand
in ONE
assignment late, for ANY reason. If there were a large number of assignments, I might
even extend
this to two, or I might drop a small number of the lowest scores (such as zeros on
missed
assignments).

Students seem to find these policies very fair and I almost never have any complaints.

Jeff

--
Jeffry P. Ricker, Ph.D.          Office Phone:  (480) 423-6213
9000 E. Chaparral Rd.            FAX Number: (480) 423-6298

Listowner: Psychologists Educating Students to Think Skeptically (PESTS)
http://www.sc.maricopa.edu/sbscience/pests/index.html