I agree with David about the dropping exam policy not
being a good one. I do not adopt this policy in my
classes mainly because it is sending the wrong message
to students that they will not always be responsible
for learning the information presented in lecture and
text. The student can tell him or herself "well I
didn't study that much for this exam so I will just
drop this one. Who cares." This is NOT the mind-set we
want to implant into our students' head. We have to
teach and send the message to students that they are
responsible and accountable for knowing the course
information and that exams are mandatory and not
optional. Another problem with this approach is that
let's say you give 4 exams and allow students to drop
1 exam they miss. So what you are doing is really
grading on 3 exams instead of 4. Do you know why? It
is very simple. If a student got A's on 3 exams then
they don't have to study or take the 4th exam anymore
to get an A in the class. Is this right or
appropriate? In my opinion not at all. Students should
be responsible and required to take all exams and
should only be allowed to make-up an exam they miss
with emergency documentation. Otherwise we will be
treating them like elementary and high school students
and not like adults and college students. This is the
"Big Leagues" where there is a lot of work and a lot
of expectations!

Payam Heidary