From: Marc Carter [mailto:marc.car...@bakeru.edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 2:39 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: RE: [tips] assessment question (AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH)

I'm with Julia and Claudia: use the MFAT.  It's cheap and thorough.

I did want to say that I don't think you need to do a pre-test, though.  It's
*highly* unlikely you're going to have a substantial number of students who
come to your degree program already knowing psych.  Even an AP class in high
school is not likely to result in a great deal of retained knowledge 4-odd
years later.  Almost everything they know about psychology as seniors is due to
what you've done with them while they were in your program.

I'd save the money on the pre-test and have a couple picnics for the psych
majors.  I just cannot see it being informative.

The MFAT is normed, so you can compare your group to other groups; it has six
"Assessment Indicators" that will tell you about strengths and weakness of your
program in sufficient detail that you can make curricular changes.

Marc Carter, PhD
Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Psychology
College of Arts & Sciences