Maybe I should have said this in my e-mail, but we already used the MFAT
as an end of major assessment. What we wanted was something that would
show that they actually learned something beyond what they came in with.
We did talk about having faculty write questions for each class they
teach, but I thought instead of reinventing the wheel, maybe someone
already had something. I haven't finished reading all the responses, but
I thought I would clarify what we're looking for. I could have sworn I
had already said all that, but I guess I didn't. Thanks to everybody
past, present, and future who are responding to this request,

Marte

>>> Nathalie Cote  02/25/10 12:51 PM >>>

We have used the MFAT for two years. We*ll keep using itbut a major
problem is that we do not teach our students to takemultiple-choice
tests so the format of the MFAT assessment does not map allthat well to
the skills we emphasize in our upper level courses. However, we douse it
to observe curricular strengths and weaknesses in the content coverage
acrossthe 6 subareas and to get a sense of the national norms for
content knowledge.

Our primary source of assessment information for the major is thesenior
thesis.

We are in the process of developing a pretest-posttest that willfocus
just on the information literacy skills that we expect our majors
todevelop. We will give it in Intro Psych and in the thesis class
probably. This testwill be in addition to the ETS iSkills test that the
college at large is aboutto being using and is intended to be discipline
*specific (if you haveone please share!).

Nathalie Cote
Belmont Abbey College, NC