Just a couple of points:

(1) Personally, I usually pay no mind to what Louis says
about teaching.  He's not a psychologist (though one doesn't
have to be a psychologist to say meaningful things about
teaching), he's a tenured professor (which shouldn't be held
against him but might blind him to the fact that that status
grants him rights and privileges not available to junior faculty,
adjuncts, or graduate students teaching courses on their own),
and typically relies solely on his own experience instead of
systematic research on what works and doesn't work (it is
remarkable how many people who rely just on their experience
fail to appreciate the concept of external validity).  Louis fails
to appreciate the role of his own biases and the how the specific
environment he operates in affects what he thinks as well as
what he thinks he knows. When he purports to provide "wisdom"
on a subject, like "if you don't feel like it, don't teach because it
will be obvious to students", he appears to think that this is a
"universal law" applicable to all instructors in all courses while in
truth he may be able to get away with it but someone whose contract
specifies that a certain number of hours of classroom instruction
would be foolish to follow his advice especially if it gets back
to whoever their supervisor is.

(2) In general, I recommend that instructors plan for an activity
or activities for what I call "My Dog Died Today".  That is, one
can never tell when some personally catastrophic event will occur
but one will not be able to take time off from class.  One probably
can't be bubbly and effervescent if one's dog died or one's child
was admitted to the hospital or one's home burned down or a family
member was kidnapped while traveling in a foreign country (which
happened to one of my students who apologized for being out of it
in class) or fill in your own personal tragedy.  In these kinds of situations
I think is wise to prepare:

(a)  to have a some video that is generally relevant to the topic
of your class that can be used to fill the period and leave time
for reactions and discussion afterward -- this reduces the amount
of time one has to spend speaking which in fact might be difficult
to do given the circumstance.  Using material from various PBS
series would be good, especially if one can access the Annenberg
website; see:
http://www.learner.org/resources/series150.html

(b) an activity that would allow the students to form small groups,
work on a problem or some goal directed activity which will take
some time and then report on their conclusions and moderate
subsequent discussion.  I'm sure Tipster can provide pointers to
soruces for this kind of thing in different areas of psychology.

The key thing is to determine what can be done in the class period
that would be relevant either to the topic currently being covered or
provides insight into some specific aspect of the course's content
while reducing the amount of time that the instructor has to speak
and physically act.  Given the nature of the events I'm referring to,
one wants to reduce the likelihood that one might break down in
front of students, experience wild mood swings, or present other
behaviors reflecting how upset or badly they feel but trying to keep
it under control.  If students don't know the context, they might
react badly to strange behavior on the instructor's part.

True, I'm really talking about those days when something really bad
happens which really makes one not want to teach but one has to
anyway.  If its just "I don't feel like teaching today", then maybe
Louis' advice makes sense. 1/2 :-)

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=1088
or send a blank email to
leave-1088-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu