Allen Esterson wrote:
> Paul Brandon wrote:
>> Darwin himself relied on Lamarck for a mechanism underlying
>> natural selection, since he wasn't aware of Mendel's work.
>
> On the contrary, the theory of natural selection was in *opposition* to
> Lamarck's theory of the inheritance of acquired characteristics. In a
> letter to Joseph Hooker in 1844 Darwin wrote that "the conclusions I am
> led to are not widely different from his [Lamarck's]; though the means
> are wholly so." More generally, Lamarck's evolutionary theory was
> teleological (i.e., purposive), whereas natural selection is
> non-teleological.
>
> My understanding is that in later editions of *On the Origin of
> Species* Darwin allowed a very limited role for Lamarckian mechanisms
> because he had problems with inheritance, and with the estimations of
> the age of the earth at that time.

"On the contrary," Darwin allowed an increasingly large role for
Lamarckian evolution over the course of the six editions of _Origin of
Species._ Although Darwin saw that his mechanism was different from
Lamarck's. he did not rule out the Lamarckian mechanism (these are two
quite distinct questions).  The idea that Darwin and Lamarck were
"opposed" to each other didn't really become a dominant thread until
after Darwin's death, when August Weismann's work became available in
English. There were exceptions earlier, of course (e.g., Darwin's
leading advocate in the US, Chauncey Wright, bemoaned the fact that many
people calling themselves "Darwinians" in his day (the 1870s) were
really "Lamarckians"), but many evolutionists tried to find an
accommodation between the two theories. The modern presumption that
Lamarck and Darwin were "opposed" to each other is primarily the result
of a reconstruction of the debate that took place in the 1890s.

Mendel's work was a separate issue. Indeed, when it was "rediscovered"
around 1900, it was widely thought to be incompatible with natural
selection, until the "modern synthesis" was put together in the 1940s by
Huxley's grandson (Julian) and others.

Chris
--
Christopher D. Green