We fight to keep SPSS because upwards of 90% of our graduates continue on with
a grad program, and even if it's not a PhD program, they are almost always
required to do an empirical thesis of some sort, they are all required to take
a grad stats class, and SPSS is nearly universal (at least from the reports I
get back from graduates).  They thank me for being a "Nazi" with their writing
and design, and they thank me because they know more about stats and methods
than their peers.  I almost always get the "I'm bored" notes from students in
their first-semester stats/design classes in grad school.  (I've even had notes
sent to me WHILE the students are in class, for which I chastise them.)

But it's increasingly a battle in our cash-strapped little U.  SPSS is
expensive, especially when I have to buy separate packages for advanced
regression and advanced stats (repeated-measures analyses, etc.).  And it's
increasingly aimed at business data analysis (and now that IBM has bought it, I
expect that trend to accelerate).

I'm on the edge of using something else because SPSS is rapidly pricing itself
out of the small-college market, but I hate to make the students learn some
software that they won't see again.

Our program is small and has become a major that is virtually a grad-school
prep program -- so that's the main reason that we have them learn to use SPSS.

Marc Carter, PhD
Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Psychology
College of Arts & Sciences
Baker University
--

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by Baker University ("BU") and is intended to be confidential and for
the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be
protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal
rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please
immediately notify Baker University by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=2001
or send a blank email to
leave-2001-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu