Long ago I had the brilliant idea of asking students to grade themselves on
their own class participation which was a syllabus defined percentage of their
grade. I found their estimates to be close to what I would have given them.
They seemed to be quite honest and few went for the easy A. However, on course
evaluations, they hated it. They thought I had abdicated my responsibility to
give them feedback on that aspect of their performance.

Another aspect of this "crowdsourcing" is the federal secrecy of student
records act that does not allow for students or anyone else to know the grades
of other students. If other students are publically determining grades for
identified students in the class, it might be in violation of FERPA.

Bill Scott

>>> Sally Walters <swalt...@dccnet.com> 05/03/10 5:14 PM >>>
Tired of marking? Turn it over to the students - use "crowdsourcing":
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/05/03/grading#Comments

Sally Walters
Capilano University
North Vancouver, BC