I had a similar experience about 15-20 years ago when I similarly asked
students to grade themselves and to do peer evaluations. The students let me
know via the course evaluations that it was not their (the students') job to do
the grading!

Similarly, when I have solicited multiple choice items as a way of getting
students to engage with the material I had a similar response on course
evaluations.

I think, however, this is because grading yourself and/or others is really not
that easy. It's actually quite hard to be honest and give a low mark to
someone, especially if they are putting out an honest effort but just not
getting it. The students did not like this. Also, writing a good multiple
choice item is very challenging and instead of having greater respect for the
task, the students seemed to want a boundary between my job and their job. I
often laugh at all the research that people cite to say that students are so
very different now. No, they are not that much different now, compared to then,
compared to when I was student.

Of course, 15-20 years ago no one was hollering FERPA.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Professor, Psychological Sciences
University of San Diego