Mike Palij wrote:
> So, how can it be that something not be thought of as creative
> orvaluable at one point in time become seen as immensely creative and
> of tremendous value at another time? Is being creative and producing
> creative works something that can be easily recognized and appreciated
> without knowledge of the values driving the creation of the work and
> the social context it is being produced in? I don't think so.

Charles Babbage comes immediately to (my) mind. Most people (even among
scientists and mathematicians) didn't "get" the potential value of his
Difference Engine (a big mechanical calculator) or Analytical Engine (a
mechanical computer), but ~150 years later, it was hard to imagine the
world without (electronic versions of) them. (Of course, the fact that
he never managed to build either of them didn't help matters.)

Chris
--

Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology