I am still somewhat unconvinced of this interpretation. Children (and women)
have worked forever to support the family - how can you be sure that taking
them to work preceded making them work there (as opposed to "they went to work
because they had to do so.")

What is the actual evidence for this? Or is this simply a surmise?

The assumptions we have about how families have operated are often based on
what we perceive to be best in our own time and culture. For example, lots of
maternal guilt (so lucrative for authors and experts) generated by the use of
nannies and au pairs by affluent women (I still remember the punitive
interpretations the 1997 death of a small child in the care of a British nanny
here in the states generated - people calling talk shows and proclaiming that
the mother deserved to lose her child for leaving him in the care of a nanny.)

In centuries previous more affluent women frequently DID employ hired help
including nannies and wet nurses.As is always the case, one of the hallmarks of
"making it" is hiring help to do the less glamourous work in running your
household. Previous generations appear to have agonized less about this.

Nancy Melucci
LBCC