I hope Miguel is reading messages for this list...but others also, please chime
in. It's at least partly an ethics issue.

I have a student who is going through the grad school application process. She
worked with a professor (not me) on a project who submitted the work as a
manuscript which is currently under review. This professor has also submitted
(subsequently) a conference presentation with almost the same exact title (one
word was swapped out for a synonym). The content appears to be the same.

I think this is flagrant double-dipping to pad a vita and I'm afraid it might
backfire on her if she lists both on her vita. I believe that for students who
don't have much on their CV, that such similar titles will immediately stand
out as double-dipping. I an leaning towards advising her that she should just
list the conference, because it is a known acceptance, and hold off on the
article under review...and maybe add it only after it is accepted for
publication. Or should she list both?

Note that she had no control over any of these events.

Any thoughts on this?

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Professor, Psychological Sciences