From: Mike Palij [m...@nyu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:13 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Cc: Mike Palij
Subject: [tips] U.S. Adults Say The Darnedest Things!

The Christian Science Monitor has an article that reviews the results
of a Pew Research Center poll on the U.S. perception of the religion
of President Obama and 18% said that they thought he was a Muslim,
compared to 12% who thought he was Muslim back in March 2008
(there was a 7% point jump from  March 2009 [11%] to August 2009
[18%]).  The respondents were also asked why they thought he was
Muslim.  Quoting the article:

|Pew asked about that, as well. Of those who believe Obama to be
|Muslim, 60 percent said they learned that from the media. As to
|which media, 16 percent said TV, 6 percent said newspapers, and
|3 percent said magazines.
|
|One percent said they learned about Obama being Islamic from his
|book. Those people must have been skimming. ....
|
|Interestingly, 10 percent of those with this mistaken impression said
|that they learned about Obama’s religion from his own behaviors or
|his own words. The poll was taken prior to Obama’s statements
|supporting construction of a mosque near the World Trade Center site.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/The-Vote/2010/0819/Why-do-1-in-5-Americans-think-President-Obama-is-a-Muslim

The Pew Research Center Report can be obtained here:
http://people-press.org/reports/pdf/645.pdf

I guess we have a new urban legend to debunk in class.  As the Report
makes clear, certains groups seem to hold the mistaken belief to a greater
degree than other groups, so the percentage of students in your class
who believe that President Obama is a Muslim will depend upon the
composition of the student population.

You are currently subscribed to tips as: tay...@sandiego.edu.
To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13534.4204dc3a11678c6b1d0be57cfe0a21b0&n=T&l=tips&o=4298