I was at the Ig Nobel awards last week and amid all the hoopla and flying paper
airplanes (an Ig Nobel tradition) I remember only one psychology award (unless
you count the report on fellatio among bats as psych-related), Richard
Stephens' (Keele U, UK) research showing that swearing reduces pain - as if
there was any doubt! his measure of pain involved Ss trying to keep their hand
in ice water .. here is a link to the abstract and a web MD link:

http://journals.lww.com/neuroreport/abstract/2009/08050/swearing_as_a_response_to_pain.4.aspx

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/news/20090713/go-ahead-and-curse-it-may-ease-your-pain

I doubt his research will win a real Nobel.

The theme this year was 'bacteria', and the awards that I liked the best: a
method to collect whale snot with RC helicopters, proof that we slip on ice
less when we wear socks over our boots, research supporting the idea of 'random
promotions' in business. Lots of fun .... even though only one person has won
both an Ig Nobel and a Nobel, real Nobel prize winners award the Ig Nobels ....
see picture of Nobel prize winners trying out the bra that doubles as a face
mask (a 2009 Ig Nobel winner):

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/10/101001-ignobels-2010-science-health-environment-nation/

John W. Kulig
Professor of Psychology