John,

I'm so jealous that you got to go to the IgNobel award at Harvard!.

Okay, everybody there are going to be some fun links in this post, so if
you're kicking back with a glass of wine tonight and no papers to correct,
check out the following...

Some on the TIPS list may not know that "our own" Robin Abrahams (also
famous as "Miss Conduct" in the Boston Globe Magazine),
http://robinabrahams.com/ and her husband, Marc, put on this now famous
award show.  Check out  http://improbable.com/  which has lots of funny,
quirky things related to the IgNobel prizes. There's lots of coverage on
youtube, as well as books published about the IgNobels (
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=ignobel&x=0&y=0)
  Be
sure to check out Miss Sweetie Pie's role in keeping the recipients'
presentations short and sweet ("Please stop.  I'm bored.  Please stop.  I'm
bored."  I'll bet our students wish each of our classrooms had a Miss
Sweetie Pie.  There's even a mug at CafePress with her plaintive cry:
http://www.cafepress.com/ignobel.419085496).  And come on, if you can, you
know you want to be mentioned in the Luxuriant Hair (Flowing, Former and
Facial) Club for Scientists.  http://improbable.com/projects/hair/

The night is always sold out far in advance.  NEXT year I'm going to
remember to try earlier to get a ticket.  Reading over this post, I'm
wondering if I should add, "I'm Beth Benoit, and I approved of this
message."  Wow, what a groupie I am!

Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University
New Hampshire

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM, John Kulig <ku...@mail.plymouth.edu> wrote:

> I was at the Ig Nobel awards last week and amid all the hoopla and flying
> paper airplanes (an Ig Nobel tradition) I remember only one psychology award
> (unless you count the report on fellatio among bats as psych-related),
> Richard Stephens' (Keele U, UK) research showing that swearing reduces pain
> - as if there was any doubt! his measure of pain involved Ss trying to keep
> their hand in ice water .. here is a link to the abstract and a web MD link:
>

> http://journals.lww.com/neuroreport/abstract/2009/08050/swearing_as_a_response_to_pain.4.aspx
>

> http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/news/20090713/go-ahead-and-curse-it-may-ease-your-pain
>
> I doubt his research will win a real Nobel.
>
> The theme this year was 'bacteria', and the awards that I liked the best: a
> method to collect whale snot with RC helicopters, proof that we slip on ice
> less when we wear socks over our boots, research supporting the idea of
> 'random promotions' in business. Lots of fun .... even though only one
> person has won both an Ig Nobel and a Nobel, real Nobel prize winners award
> the Ig Nobels .... see picture of Nobel prize winners trying out the bra
> that doubles as a face mask (a 2009 Ig Nobel winner):
>

> http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/10/101001-ignobels-2010-science-health-environment-nation/

> John W. Kulig
> Professor of Psychology
> Plymouth State University