Hi

Only by using the term "knowledge" in a quirky or loose way would it be
possible to say one has true knowledge without some sort of rational or
empirical justification (I'm not certain that falsifiability is the only such
criterion one can use).  There is a discussion of this at

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Epistemology

That is, in more correct usage, knowledge implies or assumes justification in a
belief.  Without sound justification, beliefs do not qualify as knowledge, no
matter how certain we might be about our unsubstantiated belief.  Indeed, isn't
much of what we try to teach our students about how to substantiate beliefs
(i.e., hypotheses) so that beliefs/speculations/hypotheses become sound
knowledge about human behaviour?  If we start to admit any strongly held belief
as being "true knowledge," irrespective of its justification, the discipline is
really lost.  Of course, most people who do want to extend "truth" into a wider
domain usually are quite restrictive about what beliefs they want to admit as
true.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
Professor of Psychology
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

>>> Michael Smith <tipsl...@gmail.com> 20-Oct-10 6:14 PM >>>
Chris wrote
"Which is precisely why it doesn't count as a candidate for knowledge
(for anyone remotely sympathetic to Popper)."

I think I would agree that the statment wouldn't count as a scientific
hypothesis, but not that it couldn't count as knowledge.
To say that assumes a scientific world view where the falsifiability
thing is king. It is conceivable, though, that one can have true
knowledge without such knowledge being falsifyable in the least.

--Mike

---
You are currently subscribed to tips as: j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca.
To unsubscribe click here: