Christopher DThanks Chris for your insightful reply. Haiti is not a part of the
Commonwealth.but it does share the same language with Quebec.It is my
understanding that the Haitian vote has had
some influences on the political situation in Quebec.Obviously it is
advantageous for Haitian immigrants to become Canadians. You are right for
stating that immigrants from the old British West Indiess(including St.Lucia
where I originate) are hesitant to become Canadian citizens.Although most of
the ilands are independent countries,some policies may not allow naturalized
citizens of other countries to participate in electoral offices ,especially
Jamaica.There are also punitive laws re the maintenance of property rights and
licenses.
Not gaining Canadian citizenship is als an issue for other immigrants.I know of
folks  from Argentina who will not become U.S citizens because they may lose
property rights.

Michael "omnicentric" Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=6539