From: Annette Taylor <tay...@sandiego.edu>
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS) <tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Sun, Nov 21, 2010 9:54 am
Subject: RE: [tips] texter and gamer, Facebook addict and YouTube potato

But honestly, I DID read Catcher in the Rye and Romeo and Juliet and Lord of
the Flies, 1984 etc. even though I HATED doing it, didn't like reading them one
bit at that time, probably didn't get out of it what I should have, although
ironically I do remember a lot about them, because there really wasn't that
much else to take up my time. I did it by default, not because I wanted some
higher intellectual stimulation. So I think that in the "good old days"
students did more academic work simply because they were bored and had not much
else to do that was readily available as something to do.

I did grow up in Chicago (emphasis on "in" as in smack dab in the middle, and
not the suburbs), and again, did cultural events by default--getting out of
doing something else when bored so went to the Art Institute or the downtown
library (now gone), or Lincoln Park zoo, or the theater, etc. The good thing
was that those experiences have stayed with me even though I might not have
appreciated them at the time or gotten as much out of them as I could
have/should have. I wonder if the ready availability of electronics would have
changed that.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Professor, Psychological Sciences