I suppose signal detection theory might have something to contribute here. I've
experienced them, too, mainly in the car where road vibration or radio speaker
vibration might set off a "false alarm". The BMJ article broke it down by
medical specialty/status. Perhaps it occurs more when the psychological cost of
a false positive is substantially lower than the cost of a false negative.

Bill Scott

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010, roig-rear...@comcast.net went:

> I experience these occasionally, especially when I am driving. Anyone else?
>
> http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c6914.abstract?etoc

Yes.  I keep my cellphone clipped to the outer portion of my pants
pocket on "vibrate," and I've had occasional phantoms for years.  Even
in a still, silent room.

--David Epstein
   da...@neverdave.com

---