Given the relative lack of response over my request for ideas regarding
zombies, I shall conclude that it may be only me and Mike Palij who find the
topic fascinating (either that or everyone is understandably busy).  At any
rate, I did a lot more "noodling" on the topic and came up with a list of 6
reasons why we like to see zombies get killed.  I attribute 2 of them to Mike
P.  Here's my list:
6 Psychological Reasons Why We Like To Kill Zombies

Freud: we all have an innate aggressive drive, so killing zombies allows for
that instinct to express itself.
Evolution: We all seem to be fascinated with dead things (dead bugs, dead
animals on the side of the road), and when you hear about someone dying you
always want to know why and, admit it, you wonder a bit if that’s something you
might be susceptible to. Death both scares and fascinates us. as we involved,
if you weren’t curious about why other creatures died you probably didn’t
survive yourself. Curiousity about death is probably built into us
Social Roles: Every day we have to restrain ourselves from expressing our true
emotions. Perhaps our desire to kill zombies is an expression of our desire to
break out of our roles for just a short while and to express (especially angry)
feelings we normally must keep inside.
>From Mike P: Just World Belief: the undead are clearly the bad guys and they
>deserve to die
>From Mike P: Fear of Scientific progression: (ex: nuclear bombs Godzilla)
Terror Management: zombies are reminders of our own mortality which we don’t
want to be reminded of, so we kill them in a symbolic way of overcoming death.

I vote for #3.  Anyway, a little bit of fun.

http://www.thepsychfiles.com/2010/12/episode-138-zombies-6-reasons-why-are-we-so-fascinated-by-them/

Happy Holidays TiPSters!

Michael

Michael A. Britt, Ph.D.