Just to add a few points to what has already been said.

(1)  One position that one could take with respect to zombies is what
I would call the "dog with rabies or maddog defense".  Rabies is a good
analogy if one take the "zombies produced by infection" viewpoint as rabies
attacks the brain, produces significant changes in behavior, and is transmitted
through bites (acceding to Wikipedia [yadda-yadda] about 97% of human
rabies cases are based on dog bites; see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies   )
Given the immediate danger posed by a rabid animal, the best strategy
is to contain the animal or killing it on sight (I'm reminded of Atticus Finch
killing the rabid dog in the movie version of "To Kill a Mockingbird" --
he took no pleasure in it but it was something that had to be done).
So, one can justify killing of zombies on public health grounds though this
might not explain the attitude of the person doing the killing.

(2)  I was a little confused by the original post on the "inexplicable pleasure
of killing zombies" especially since the inspiration for the post was the
series "The Walking Dead".  The main character in the series, sheriff's
deputy Rick Grimes, does kill zombies but he doesn't do it out of bloodlust
or a sense of vengeance or the attitude that the only good zombie is a
dead zombie.  I believe he still sees the humanity in the zombies but,
like the rabid dog, has to put down the zombies because of the immediate
danger they pose.  Consider the first scene in the first episode of the
series, I quote from the episode summary on the AMC website (see:
http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/episode-101  )

|On a deserted road, Sheriff's Deputy Rick Grimes pulls his police
|cruiser past overturned cars to a gas station. Vehicles filled with
|dead bodies litter the grounds; a sign hanging nearby declares "No Gas."
|
|As Rick searches, he glimpses a little girl and calls to her. Her lips
|and right cheek have been torn away, blood dripping. She starts
|toward Rick, growling. As she approaches, Rick draws his gun
|and shoots her in the head.

This description does not adequately represent the scene.  Rick
initially sees the child's feet in bunny slippers by looking below one
of the cars.  She picks up a soiled teddy bear.  She walks away
with her back to the viewer as Rick calls to her, with the tone of
voice that perhaps he has come across someone who has escaped
infection.  She turns around and Rick sees that she is a child zombie;
he has a facial expression that might be interpreted as "Oh God, no!"
As she starts to run to him it is clear that he really has only one
option but it is not one that he relishes.  There is emotional pain in
having to perform this act but it is also an act of mercy, to put the
child out of her misery.  I think this first scene is an acid test for the
viewer:  if you can stand watching a child zombie getting shot in the
head, you can probably stand everything else in this series.  There
are terrible things that have happened and will have to be done,
but Rick Grimes will do what he needs to do with humanity and
compassion.  This might be best shown in the scene where Rick,
after being nursed to health by Morgan and his son, looks for a
zombie he encountered before he met Morgan.  It was a miserable
creature who had had the bottom half of their body torn off and
now doomed to crawl on the ground until it dies from starvation --
the real horror is the realization that no matter how mangled a
zombie's body may be, they won't be dead until their brain is
destroyed.  Quoting from the AMC website:

|Rick returns to the park where he found the legless walker. "I'm
|sorry this happened to you," he says, shooting her in the head.

Rick represents the antithesis of the person who takes "inexplicable
pleasure in killing zombies".  Daryl and his brother Merle Dixon
might take such pleasure killing zombies but the other characters
in the series seem to do it because they have to, just like putting
down a rabid dog. But, because we are talking about humans here,
it is also a small act of mercy.  Of course, such points might be lost
when involved in a kill crazy frenzy when attacked by a large group
of "walkers".

So, this is why I was puzzled by the statement of "inexplicable
pleasure of killing zombies".  This might be true in other films or
media but I don't really think it is supported by "The Walking Dead".

(3)  While browsing in bookstores I've become aware that there is
a new genre of fiction, that is, taking classic novels or characters and
putting them into a horror context.  Of relevance here is "Pride and
Prejudice and Zombies" (available on Amazon along with a lot of
other books on zombies, many on how to survive the coming zombie
apocalypse); see:
http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-Zombies-Classic-Ultraviolent/dp/1594743347/ref=sr_1_14?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293205750&sr=1-14
Another title in this genre is "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" but
I digress.  Since I don't read books about zombies, I don't how they
are presented in print.  Perhaps there is where one would find people
who take "inexplicable pleasure in killing zombies".  Maybe not.
But I think it is only a matter of time before some wag publishes
"B.F. Skinner and U.S. Zombie Project":  after Skinner's work on
Project Pigeon, he is asked by the military to supervise a project
using zombies to counter the Nazi program to develop super-Aryan
Nazi zombies.  Can "Fred" discover the process of creating zombies
and then use behavior modification to make them controllable
engines of destruction?  Perhaps, but does this project plant the seeds
of the ultimate zombie apocalypse decades later when the U.S.
military's secret zombie projects fall out of control and unleashes
death and destruction on those who would use the undead in such
unwise ways?

Tune in next week.