Michael Sylvester wrote:
>No big deal to me.This autobiographical memory stuff should not
>be surprising. There are cultures where folks can memorize the
>whole Koran.

But this is done by constant repetition in childhood, possibly over
many years. Luria's subject did not need to practice in order to recall
massive amounts of information.

>Allen should have been aware that during the British rule
>in India, they must have come across people who can
>exert control over their autunomic system.

There has been, of course, a considerable interest in these abilities,
probably coming to a peak around forty years ago. But again, my
recollection is that these abilities required long periods of training,
whereas this was not the case with Luria's subject.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com