Jim Clark wrote:
> […[ I would be very surprised if genes did not play some part
>in the radical sorting process that led some few to stardom and
>the rest to whatever miserable fate awaits them once their
>dreams of glory are shattered by reality.

Joan Warmbold replied:
>Daniel Coyle makes a convincing case for otherwise. He noted
>over and over again the so-called hot beds had two crucial
>elements: a) a person who provided inspiration, or in his words,
>"ignition,"; and then, b) opportunity for lots of deep practice.
>[…] But what Coyle does make a very convincing case for is
>that children's environmental experiences are the most important
>part of the formula. He does go further to make the case that
>genetic predisposition is not part of the equation at all, or if
>so, a very small part…

I want to approach this from two different directions. Here's the
first, starting with the post from Miguel Roig-Rearden on 2 January:
>Speaking of people with amazing abilities, check out this kid:
>Bluejay: the mind of a child prodigy:
>http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7186319n.

As with other very young child prodigies featured on TV programmes over
the years that I have viewed, this young boy's extraordinary talent
didn't require all the factors cited by Coyle, other than that he spent
very many hours practising or developing his talents. But then no one
who ever thought about the subject has ever believed that hard work
(though often not so regarded by the prodigies) was not an essential
factor in such achievements. Note that such exceptionally gifted
individuals are not savants – in all other ways they are normal kids.
It seems to me evident that genetic factors play a necessary, but of
course not sufficient, role in their accomplishments. (Check out the
clip cited by Miguel.)  It is likely that such amazingly gifted
children lie at the extreme end of a spectrum, with very talented
children not so far along. This implies that, whatever other factors
are required for the very talented children to reach exceptionally high
standards, genetic propensity is an essential element.

 From a UK Channel 4 programme I saw about six years ago on very young
child prodigies:

"At three years old, Mikhail can add in the thousands. At six, Adam is
able to solve quadratic equations and is studying A-level chemistry. By
five, Michael (now aged 11) was reading Shakespeare and learning
Hebrew."
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/child-genius/episode-guide/series-1/episode-1

The topic of child prodigies is discussed here by Professor Joan
Freeman:
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/child-genius/articles/professor-joan-freeman-feature

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department