In the early 1990s I served as a part-time statistical consultant
and program evaluator for the Board of Education in the city
of Newark, NJ.  The busiest period was during the summer
after the spring "post-test" data was available (students were
tested at the beginning of the fall and end of the spring semesters).
During the school year, I worked there on Fridays, working
on ongoing projects, analyzing data from previous years and
so on.  I lived in NYC and would get to Newark by taking
the PATH subway which connected Manhattan to cities in
NJ.  Usually, I took the PATH train from the World Trade
Center (WTC) to the end of the line in Newark and then
walked to the Board of Education offices.

On Friday, February 26, 1993, I did my usual routine but
shortly after noon, the radio I was listening to said that something
had happened at the WTC.  "Great", was my annoyed reaction,
"that'll mean I'll have to take the other PATH line into Manhattan
and I'll get home later than expected."  And then, as the news
reports provided more details, I realized that this minor annoyance
was to be the least of my worries.  What happened was that a car
bomb had been detonated in the parking structure under the
WTC, killing several people, causing injuries to over a 1000 people,
and revealing how unprepared the WTC and NYC was
for a terrorist attack.  At the time, we didn't appreciate the full
implications of what had happened.  The NY Times, which does
a "This Day in History" type article, reminds us of what happened
and what we thought the day after in their Saturday edition.
One of the stories from that edition and the front page are available
here:
http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/big/0226.html#article

Wikipedia has an entry that also has the benefit of additional
information and hindsight as well as being able to put the event
in the context of subsequent events;  here is a link to the entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_World_Trade_Center_bombing

A number of changes took place at the WTC as a result of the
1993 bombing, things like closing off the parking area where the
bombing took place, reconfiguring the ground floors of the buildings
to allow easier exit from the building, emergency and evacuation
procedures, and so on.  It was also decided that the doors to the
roofs would be locked because it was felt that in the case of future
attacks, helicopter rescues from the roof would be too dangerous
and going to the roof was to be discouraged -- though this point
had not been publicized or even known by people working in the
WTC, which is why some people tried to get to the roofs on 9/11/01
and people watching on TV wondered why helicopters were not
rescuing people from roofs because it was clear the floors on
fire prevented them from going down in the building.  Thought
some lessons had been learned on Friday, February 26, 1993,
not enough were learned nor had their implications been worked
through.

Just something to think about as we approach the 10th anniversary
of the 9/11 attacks.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=9031
or send a blank email to
leave-9031-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu