I think Rick has hit on an important clue to this controversy.

I've been thinking about this since the last go-round about whether
*data *should
be treated as plural or singular.  What "sounds right" will be whatever is
consistent with the implicit grammatical rule the listener applies.  I also
suspect that in this case, two different definitions of *data* might be in
operation.  I always think of this word in terms of numbers, findings,
statistics, etc.  So *data* always requires a plural verb for me.  When I
talk about a *data set*, I use the singular, since the noun in question is *
set* and the word *data* is now a modifier.  Sometimes speakers prune out
extra language (like the word *set*) but retain the grammatical construction
that goes with the full language.  So I can understand why "the data [set]
is" sounds perfectly fine to some.

It all depends on the mental model the speaker (and listener) uses for the
word.

Claudia Stanny

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=9350
or send a blank email to